- 1 Onion, chopped
- 1 Green Pepper, chopped
- 1 Package of Mushrooms, chopped
- Mild Italian Sausage, Extra Lean Ground Meat, OR Textured Vegetable Protein
- 2 Bottles/Cans of Your favorite tomato-based pasta sauce
- 1 Package of Oven-ready Lasagna Noodles (Whole-wheat, if possible)
- 1 Package of Frozen Chopped Spinach
- 1 Block of Herb Tofu
- 1 Tablespoon of Olive Oil
- Oven-safe Pan (8.5 x 11)
- Sauté chopped vegetables (green peppers, mushrooms, and onion) with 1 tablespoon of olive oil.
- Add meat to skillet. Cook until brown.
- Preheat oven to 375 °F.
- Thaw spinach and squeeze excess water out. Keep out on a separate dish.
- Crumble herb tofu and keep on a separate dish.
- Once ground meat browned, add the 2 cans of sauce. Let simmer on low, mix and cover until ready to layer.
Layering the Lasagna
- Put a layer of sauce at bottom of pan.
- Add one layer of noodles over sauce. Be sure not to overlap noodles.
- Add another layer of sauce and then the crumbled herb tofu.
- Add spinach over top.
- Add another layer on noodles, followed with another layer of sauce.
- Repeat with tofu, then spinach.
- Add another layer of noodles followed with more sauce.
- Repeat with remaining tofu and spinach and then noodles with sauce.
- Cover with tinfoil and place in oven for 40 min.
- Take foil off, keep in oven for another 15 min.
- Let stand for 5-10 minutes and enjoy!
Recipe from my friend, Elizabeth Russell. Thanks!